Wayfinder Schools offers relational learning programs that transform the nature of a high school education by providing students with the skills and experience necessary to discover their strengths, connect with their families, practice personal responsibility, and contribute to their communities, and which culminate in awarding a high school diploma from the State of Maine.
Passages Teacher - Greater Brunswick
Wayfinder Schools is seeking a Passages Teacher to join our team for the 2019-2020 school year! This position will work in the Greater Brunswick area. If you are a caring person who wants to make a difference in the lives of Maine’s youth, we encourage you to apply. Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Passages Teacher administers the Passages curriculum of 24 core skills and the final Passage project to enrolled students; meets weekly and maintains contact with students via home visits, electronic communication and by phone; educates through a social justice lens utilizing individualized learning plans developed in collaboration with the student to meet their learning needs; uses adaptive teaching methods and strategies, as needed, for each student; works collaboratively with the Passages staff to address the needs of the program and the Schools; researches, practices, assesses, and shares proven teaching strategies and/or practices with school colleagues; assists in creating and maintaining a proven current curriculum that addresses the educational needs of teen parents/students; updates, maintains, and provides evidence of student learning in their official student record. Passages Teacher has reliable transportation and is willing to provide transportation for students as needed.
Wayfinder Schools offer relational learning programs that transform the nature of a high school education by providing students with the skills and experience necessary to discover their strengths, connect with their families, practice personal responsibility, and contribute to their communities, and which culminate in awarding a high school diploma from the State of Maine.
· Bachelor’s degree with teacher certification or working toward certification, and/or 3-5 years of classroom teaching in alternative education
· Have child rearing, social work, and/or counseling experience
· Possesses excellent computer skills with proficiency in both Mac and PC environments and with databases
· Familiarity with Relational Education, Restorative Justice, Nonviolent Communication, and Learner-Centered Teaching practices
· Experience creating Individualized Education Plans, using adaptive teaching strategies based on strengths-based and multiple intelligences teaching models
· Ability to teach in home settings and/or in all manners of locations
· Experience working with non-traditional students preferred
· Inspires enthusiasm, trust, interest, and engagement in student’s own learning, and has a respectful, non-judgmental, and supportive instructional style
· Excellent organizational and management skills
· Detail oriented team player with great follow-through
· Patient, compassionate, humble, personable, warm, and kind
· Possesses self- confidence, leadership skills, and a sense of humor
· Demonstrates maturity in interactions with students, family members, staff, board members, and others
· Maintain assigned student caseload, which may increase or decrease during transition of graduates and incoming students
· Maintain individualized student records, progress reports and other reporting requirements as needed
· Meet weekly and maintain progress with enrolled students
· Develop individualized student learning plans for each student
· Utilize a variety of learner-centered teaching strategies which honor different learning styles, build self-confidence and taps into students’ multiple intelligences
· Provide transportation as needed for students and the program
· Be willing to help out beyond the academic arena as needed with students within reason. May include but not limited to attend case management meetings, court appointments, doctor appointments or other needs of the students
· Participate in and help plan weekly Passages staff meetings
· Meet regularly with supervisor
· Participate in fundraising events on behalf of Passages and the Schools as needed and/or requested
· Attend continuing professional development courses as required and provided by Wayfinder Schools
· Any other duties as assigned
Employment and FLSA Status
This is a Full Time, Year-Round, salaried, exempt, benefits eligible position which will generally work weekdays. Some evening and weekend work will be required.